May 5, 2010

Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century

In a letter to the Gould community last fall, I wrote "We know as the world has changed, so have our students. They are digital, multimedia (and often global) beings who are disinclined to process information in the linear, uni-sensory fashion that made up much of my generation's learning experience. Today, students can access information seemingly instantly and take this ease of access for granted. This has huge implications for how we teach."

These lines were inspired by a number of things including Tony Wagner's the Global Achievement Gap. In it Wagner writes, "The ways in which young people are different today as learners may be the most fundamental change we need to understand as we consider how to close the global achievement gap. The use of the Internet and other digital technology has transformed both what young people learn today and how they learn."

At assembly on Monday morning, I announced a new Gould 1:1 Laptop Initiative. This coming fall each Gould student and classroom teacher will receive an Apple MacBook to use for the academic year.

As we considered how we as an institution could better align our curriculum with what the 21st century demands of students and their preparedness for college and the knowledge-based economy beyond, the choice was simple and obvious.

At the assembly I was joined by Paul Facteau, an "educational anthropologist" at Apple who discussed the student as a creative, digital learner - one whose digital portfolio makes up his or her own personal brand. I invite you to watch the video clip from his presentation.



This initiative is an important step in transforming academia at Gould and embracing and engaging with digital tools critical to 21st century teaching, learning, success. All of us at Gould are exceptionally proud to be able to offer this to our community.

I am eager for the road ahead.

Home | Next: Everyone Serves...

| Next: In Sync with Nature's Tempo...

| Next: Yankee Stadium and Hanscom Hall

| Next: Teaching: Content vs. Survival






About Me
When I became Head of School at Gould:
2001

Years Experience in Independent Schools:
36

Education:
BA in Human Biology from Brown University
MA in Education from Harvard University

Previous Schools:
Mercersburg Academy in PA
Midland School in CA


Archive



Links
Gould Academy